#1March 11th, 2009 · 05:49 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
I think lyrics come to those who feel the need to express themselves that way, so I agree very much with the idea of not forcing anything, sitting down a working at something is a different matter, then you throw ideas around and see if they land.
I personally take it for granted that if a piece of text has no flow or tempo then it's some zen quote but not a song.
As a writer I have learned (through bandAmp) that a lyric from the writers point of view can be way too long for a song , from the songs point of view ! Because a song carries a lot of 'meaning' in the fact that it's the sung word in combination with music, 'made for each other', where as a poem (seen as a lyric by the writer) has it's meaning written into the imagery it portrays. Making it sometimes a bit 'too much' when it comes to putting it to music.
I've found that most of my 'lyrics' have needed a little cutting and pasting and shuffling around when it comes to the song, and it always works out in the end......that's the nature of the song.....you wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't possible !    
#2March 12th, 2009 · 08:46 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
I think lyrics come to those who feel the need to express themselves that way, so I agree very much with the idea of not forcing anything, sitting down a working at something is a different matter, then you throw ideas around and see if they land.
I personally take it for granted that if a piece of text has no flow or tempo then it's some zen quote but not a song.
As a writer I have learned (through bandAmp) that a lyric from the writers point of view can be way too long for a song , from the songs point of view ! Because a song carries a lot of 'meaning' in the fact that it's the sung word in combination with music, 'made for each other', where as a poem (seen as a lyric by the writer) has it's meaning written into the imagery it portrays. Making it sometimes a bit 'too much' when it comes to putting it to music.
I've found that most of my 'lyrics' have needed a little cutting and pasting and shuffling around when it comes to the song, and it always works out in the end......that's the nature of the song.....you wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't possible !     ;)

It's nice too when a song is sung that portrays the imagery you referred to when writing a Poem.  Indeed Kings,many of your own lyrics have wonderful imagery, like 'Three wise men', well it certainly got my imagination goin'...lol
The problem I have in creating lyrics is that I seem to have an imagination blockage, it's only once on a clear blue moon that my imagination works, perhaps I need a few slaps around me chops to clear out the cob webs..lol
I suppose it's all about freeing up your brain cells, I think mine are a bit shy and need to be guided, or have a few glasses of wine so to speak.
The funny thing is I can free myself when writing music, it must be a psychological thing I'm simply not aware of, or it could be I'm a Mentalist...lol

Cheers
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 24th, 2024 · 8:45 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.