#1March 11th, 2009 · 02:13 PM
27 threads / 2 songs
179 posts
Canada
I agree as well. When I write lyrics, I try very hard to have exact amounts of syllables for each verse and chorus.

HOWEVER....

If you are writing lyrics solely on a piece of paper without SINGING them...HOW DO YOU KNOW how many syllables are there?

As we all know, when you sing and carry a note, it can sometimes turn one syllable into two or even more.

So, while making sure to keep to a certain format, try to bare in mind that even if it looks right on paper, it may not fit right when sung out loud with music. This gives some leniency in the instances of having a kickass line that if it were changed, it would not have the same impact.

In my opinion, the most important thing in any song is it's message. Sacrificing the meaning of a song for the sake of perfection on paper is just not worth it...the vocalist will have to deal with it I guess with a little creativity! lol

Remember, counting syllables is a great tool in helping with flow...BUT it is NOT A RULE.

-Mark
#2March 11th, 2009 · 03:41 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
dustyskates wrote…
I agree as well. When I write lyrics, I try very hard to have exact amounts of syllables for each verse and chorus.

HOWEVER....

If you are writing lyrics solely on a piece of paper without SINGING them...HOW DO YOU KNOW how many syllables are there?

As we all know, when you sing and carry a note, it can sometimes turn one syllable into two or even more.

So, while making sure to keep to a certain format, try to bare in mind that even if it looks right on paper, it may not fit right when sung out loud with music. This gives some leniency in the instances of having a kickass line that if it were changed, it would not have the same impact.

In my opinion, the most important thing in any song is it's message. Sacrificing the meaning of a song for the sake of perfection on paper is just not worth it...the vocalist will have to deal with it I guess with a little creativity! lol

Remember, counting syllables is a great tool in helping with flow...BUT it is NOT A RULE.

-Mark

Very well said!!
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 19th, 2024 · 9:53 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.