#1November 17th, 2010 · 04:53 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
Moving With The Times
Well I've taken the plunge, upgraded my old PC and bought a modest HP Dual Core job, running on windows 7 64bit. I've got Cubase 5 and FL, ordered a new Behringer USB keyboard today.

I'll initially record audio in my DAW standalone workstation, but in time I'll buy a good quality interface, something like the Motu, I know kings was looking at one, I think for audio the quality of the interface is the key to a pro production together with a good quality preamp. I can still use my ART Gold tube preamp, that's pretty good kit for the money

Up and till now I've steered away form synth/modern music, but I need to keep motivated and create new things, so initially I think I'll be creating a mix of new and old together.

There are so many VST's out there and want some guidance. Just some good quality VST instruments to start with, what are you all using for say synths and orchestral sounds. I'm still gonna play my Guitar, Bass, Sax, flute and Violin he he.
#2November 17th, 2010 · 10:08 PM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
Yeah interfaces are getting pretty affordable. If your standalone DAW can be connected to the computer through USB or Firewire you can really just use that as your interface, especially if it has good quality AD converters.

If your looking to get into synth music, you can't go past a simple MIDI keyboard packaged together with Reason. I've played on many keyboards and always use proper (relatively expensive) keyboards and digital piano's and I must say that I've been very happy with this package. Reason just has practically unlimited sounds and effects at your disposal and the user interface is just perfect in my opinion. All effects and plug-ins are 'pictured' on your screen as they actually appear if you physically bought it and needed to plug it in.

However, I still can't use that package live although I know many people do (more for sequencing and loops however) as the delay between pressing the key and the actual sound throws me off too much (been playing piano for 10+ years).
#3November 18th, 2010 · 04:58 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
I could connect the stereo 1/4 output into the standard line in of the soundcard, I already have a cable for this, as I use it to moniter the sound, so yeah it might work, but I'd have to set it up everytime, hence I'm limited on space, when one of my teenage daughters moves out, that's if ever they do...lol, I'll have a room to set-up a studio.

What do you mean by 'you can't go past a simple MIDI keyboard' ?

Ok having a nice keyboard with wieghted keys would be nice, but for my purpose is it really necessary?
I only need it for home recording.
#4November 18th, 2010 · 07:16 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
but for my purpose is it really necessary?
Denis wrote…
I could connect the stereo 1/4 output into the standard line in of the soundcard, I already have a cable for this, as I use it to moniter the sound, so yeah it might work, but I'd have to set it up everytime, hence I'm limited on space, when one of my teenage daughters moves out, that's if ever they do...lol, I'll have a room to set-up a studio.

Ok having a nice keyboard with wieghted keys would be nice, but for my purpose is it really necessary?
Hi denis .
I think you can use your keyboard (PSR?) as master keyboard and control via MIDI-cable or USB.-cable.
´Chill `is right about "latency" time  (signal delay)  of a soundcard. There are huge differencies.
When ya keyboard has weighted keys , keep it .It´s a good one. So you can control EVERY Midi channel and any Midi events with it..
Here ya can find sites and sites and sites of VSTs.
http://www.vstplanet.com/Instruments/VST_Synthesizers4.htm
good luck to "midify" ya system
U.L.I.

#5November 18th, 2010 · 05:31 PM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
re: but for my purpose is it really necessary?
ULI wrote…
Denis wrote…

Hi denis .
I think you can use your keyboard (PSR?) as master keyboard and control via MIDI-cable or USB.-cable.
�Chill `is right about "latency" time  (signal delay)  of a soundcard. There are huge differencies.
When ya keyboard has weighted keys , keep it .It�s a good one. So you can control EVERY Midi channel and any Midi events with it..
U.L.I.

Took me three years to find out the PSR don't work with a PC midi set-up, did a lot of googling to find that others have had the same problem, plus spoke with an expert who said that the PSR is a no no for midi.
It works with my Synth mudule though, different set-up altogether.
 Anyway I've already bought the new keyboard, it arrived today, plugged it in, no setting up what so ever and got VST sounds, not recorded with it yet, so yeah I may get some latency problems, we'll see, although Cubase 5 has some nice ways around it I believe. I'm quite excited 
Thanks for the links, Oh BTW the new keyboard came with quite a few, I think I've got quite a few now, just need to listen to them see how they sound. A friend said go on KVR website, they had hundereds of free ones
http://www.kvraudio.com/

HAPPY DAYS   
#6November 19th, 2010 · 02:57 AM
28 threads / 20 songs
255 posts
Australia
Denis wrote…
I could connect the stereo 1/4 output into the standard line in of the soundcard, I already have a cable for this, as I use it to moniter the sound, so yeah it might work,

This is not the same as transferring through firewire or USB straight from the standalone DAW. This will ALWAYS compromise sound quality and just how much depends on the soundcard. The additional DA then AD conversions basically cancel out the benefits of using a standalone workstation all together..

Denis wrote…

Just means that the MIDI keyboard is undeniably an excellent choice and ridiculously good bang for your buck. (figure of speech, not sure if that have it outside of OZ).

Denis wrote…

I agree, for home recording, a MIDI keyboard will do pretty much everything you need and probably more than a proper keyboard that is many times more expensive because like I said you have practically an unlimited library of sounds.
#7November 19th, 2010 · 04:37 AM
117 threads / 27 songs
1,057 posts
Germany
Denis wrote…
ULI wrote…
Denis wrote…

Hi denis .
�Chill `is right about "latency" time  (signal delay)  of a soundcard. There are huge differencies.
When ya keyboard has weighted keys , keep it .It�s a good one. So you can control EVERY Midi channel and any Midi events with it..
U.L.I.

Took me three years to find out the PSR don't work with a PC midi set-up, did a lot of googling to find that others have had the same problem, plus spoke with an expert who said that the PSR is a no no for midi.
It works with my Synth mudule though, different set-up altogether.
 Anyway I've already bought the new keyboard, it arrived today, plugged it in, no setting up what so ever and got VST sounds, not recorded with it yet, so yeah I may get some latency problems, we'll see, although Cubase 5 has some nice ways around it I believe. I'm quite excited 
Thanks for the links, Oh BTW the new keyboard came with quite a few, I think I've got quite a few now, just need to listen to them see how they sound. A friend said go on KVR website, they had hundereds of free ones
http://www.kvraudio.com/

HAPPY DAYS    :D
Congrats ,denis to your brandnew rec.setup & Midi keyboard..
I´m happy for you that you have found the right gear for yourself . .I´m sure ,ya´ll gonna spend a LOT of time to explore all the different  possibilities ya got now. .      Will become very inspireing , I guess..
I´m looking forwards what influence it may have to your music . I´m courious. 
Happy & busy days
U . L . I .
#8November 19th, 2010 · 10:37 AM
117 threads / 55 songs
1,540 posts
Chile
Atmosphere by Spectrasonics is an amazing tool for synths, ambient sounds and strings.
Edirol Orchestra is pretty good for any orchestral sound you'd need.

> Iszil
#9November 19th, 2010 · 06:22 PM
341 threads / 59 songs
4,361 posts
Cymru (Wales)
Too many vsts will confuse you and in reality after trying out 200 you'll use 5.
I'd say try one out if you dont like it delete it from your vst folder otherwise you'll end up with tons of them.
especially when you go late night surfing sites like KVR ....TOO MANY VSTS !!! 

But there are of course some good ones around, usually the larger packages EZ you know, Nexus synth I have only just discovered has A-mazing synth sounds. I like the old ones...Pro52, FM7 and GuitarRig has a lot of very good effects.
But you have Cubase 5, it has near to everything included, and for a good reason....to share cubase songs.

Halionone is an incredible synth, when choosing preset sounds click the 'new-search' or 're-load' or whatever button (it's small and on the right of the presets window). Doing this displayed loads more presets all of a sudden.

I know that by choosing a different ASIO driver in the program I'm using, usually Cubase, I can get a fairly low latency between the keyboard and speakers.

Your right Denis Cubase does have a setting to compensate for latency, it's associated with the live setup, I also only picked it up in passing.
#10November 19th, 2010 · 11:46 PM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
congrats on the new setup

Check out some of Native Instrument's VSTi synths/samplers.  They are really awesome in my opinion.

If you are looking for some cool keyboard sounds check out NI Xpress Keyboards, they have Organs, FM synths, and an 80s synth called Pro-53.  They also have Kontakt which is a sampler VST that accepts samples from them.  You can get Kontakt for free, but unless you use the built-in free samples (an orchestra and another different one, I believe, which is actually pretty good), you'll have to buy samples still.
#11November 20th, 2010 · 04:40 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
kings wrote…
Too many vsts will confuse you and in reality after trying out 200 you'll use 5.
I'd say try one out if you dont like it delete it from your vst folder otherwise you'll end up with tons of them.
especially when you go late night surfing sites like KVR ....TOO MANY VSTS !!! 

But there are of course some good ones around, usually the larger packages EZ you know, Nexus synth I have only just discovered has A-mazing synth sounds. I like the old ones...Pro52, FM7 and GuitarRig has a lot of very good effects.
But you have Cubase 5, it has near to everything included, and for a good reason....to share cubase songs.

Halionone is an incredible synth, when choosing preset sounds click the 'new-search' or 're-load' or whatever button (it's small and on the right of the presets window). Doing this displayed loads more presets all of a sudden.

I know that by choosing a different ASIO driver in the program I'm using, usually Cubase, I can get a fairly low latency between the keyboard and speakers.

Your right Denis Cubase does have a setting to compensate for latency, it's associated with the live setup, I also only picked it up in passing.

Superb, I was wondering why there were limited vst's on the halionone synth, I think I may have already tried re-load or something like that, I'll have a go see what happens. I agree too many vst's spoil the broth ...lol

I had one problem yesterday, I saved a NI VST synth, when I opened relaoded cubase, I wasn't able to get any sound from the vst, must be something I'm doing wrong, Still in the elementary stages, I'm sure I'll work it out.

It's gonna be interesting, it's opened up a whole new world in creating music, you never now I might get into some Ibiza club music... .
#12November 20th, 2010 · 04:45 AM
371 threads / 187 songs
3,394 posts
United Kingdom
thebigguyconnor wrote…

Check out some of Native Instrument's VSTi synths/samplers.  They are really awesome in my opinion.

If you are looking for some cool keyboard sounds check out NI Xpress Keyboards, they have Organs, FM synths, and an 80s synth called Pro-53.  They also have Kontakt which is a sampler VST that accepts samples from them.  You can get Kontakt for free, but unless you use the built-in free samples (an orchestra and another different one, I believe, which is actually pretty good), you'll have to buy samples still.

Yeah, many good reviews on NI, I went on their website and it was too complicated, all I wanted to do is hears some samples. Your suggestions look interesting, I'll check it out.

Cheers
#13November 24th, 2010 · 06:55 PM
176 threads / 26 songs
2,342 posts
United Kingdom
re: Moving With The Times
Denis wrote…
Well I've taken the plunge, upgraded my old PC and bought a modest HP Dual Core job, running on windows 7 64bit. I've got Cubase 5 and FL, ordered a new Behringer USB keyboard today.

I'll initially record audio in my DAW standalone workstation, but in time I'll buy a good quality interface, something like the Motu, I know kings was looking at one, I think for audio the quality of the interface is the key to a pro production together with a good quality preamp. I can still use my ART Gold tube preamp, that's pretty good kit for the money

Up and till now I've steered away form synth/modern music, but I need to keep motivated and create new things, so initially I think I'll be creating a mix of new and old together.

There are so many VST's out there and want some guidance. Just some good quality VST instruments to start with, what are you all using for say synths and orchestral sounds. I'm still gonna play my Guitar, Bass, Sax, flute and Violin he he.

hope it all goes well ........... ive got a few jolly vsts lurking on my drive will send when i find em ..

fish
#14November 25th, 2010 · 09:45 PM
38 threads / 11 songs
278 posts
Canada
Denis wrote…
thebigguyconnor wrote…

Yeah, many good reviews on NI, I went on their website and it was too complicated, all I wanted to do is hears some samples. Your suggestions look interesting, I'll check it out.

Cheers

yeah their website is really cluttered and confusing (I personally hate adobe flash, it slows everything down).  They have a whole lot of DJ stuff and other crap on there.  Go to products at the top left (mouse over it) and then mouse over Komplete.  Then it will give you further categories on the sorta stuff that you'll want.
Sorry, you do not have access to post...
Wanna post? Join Today!

Server Time: April 25th, 2024 · 6:50 PM
© 2002-2012 BandAMP. All Rights Reserved.